Thursday, July 23, 2015

Seinen Manga/Anime: Is it good?

Recently, a friend asked me if School Days was any good ( I immediately thought 'yeah, if you wanted to punch your screen or rage at characters') and what surprised me was, I didn't think it was particularly bad (hate me, but think about it). I immediately researched it and discovered it was under a certain 'type/genre', called Seinen.


What is Seinen?

The Seinen tag describes those anime/ manga who have scenes not appropriate for younger viewers such as some mild sexual content, strong profanity, or extreme violence. Basically, Seinen manga/anime is literary work intended for mature viewers. So rounding it up:


  • Intended for the Mature Demographic (around 18+)
  • May contain Mild Sexual Content, Strong Profanity, and Violence / Gore
  • Different from Shounen (male leads in action storylines) who target a much younger audience (usually boys)


I'm not 18 yet :O can I watch this?


Of course, even if you're not old enough you can watch/read Seinen works as long as you keep a mature outlook and try to understand what the anime is conveying. Meaning don't whine like a baby after seeing gory scenes / sexual content and try to find the deeper meaning behind those scenes.


Wow, Seinen Anime looks promising. Any examples I could watch? 

You might have not noticed it but a lot of good animes are actually Seinen. Some of these are

  • Death Note 
  • Psycho Pass
  • Durarara!
  • Baccano
  • Steins; Gate
  • Shingeki no Kyojin
  • Hellsing
  • Elfen Lied
  • Etc, etc 
leading us to our initial, and final question:

Is Seinen Anime any good?

YES! Seinen Anime usually hold very deep messages behind their complex stories, and is definitely worth watching. They say anime is for kids? Clearly they haven't seen any Seinen anime. 

Bonus Question: Is School Days any good?

This was where it all started so I guess I have to answer it: Yes, personally I think School Days is actually not that bad for an anime, People might rage over the needless sex / gore, BUT it WAS NEEDED: like I said every part of the plot holds a deep meaning and an overall message to the viewers. 

In this case School Days message is telling us: Don't f*ck up your teenage life. Make responsible decisions. Sorry for the use of the cuss word, but I do believe it was appropriate. 

Any comments are appreciated!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. school days best anime luv luv luv <3

    ReplyDelete